Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

casseroles

My casserole dishes came out of the kiln today, and I'm happy to say they are both quite successful. I'm looking forward to cooking in them! I didn't glaze the outside of this one to show off the carving better. As they're stoneware the body is vitrified and so water impermeable. I wasn't too sure about this design when I finished carving but its growing on me. It was a very different technique for me, with more freedom than a paintbrush. Messy can be good with carving.
This has matt glaze on the outside, so is VERY hard to photograph. Thats almost enough of a reason for me to not use it again. Aside from the iron spots I mentioned in my last post.
However I am very pleased with my relief work. I apply 2 layers of acrylic binder (you know the stuff that makes acrylic paint stronger?) to get the fine lines. The matt glaze shows it off nicely I think. What I'm very pleased with is my cobalt glaze. You may remember I spent an afternoon making small portions of test glazes and this was one of them. It was very watery and just the correct consistency for roll glazing. I was very nervous when I applied this glaze as I knew any drips would stain, but I managed it just fine. If I do say so myself! Its just the clear gloss glaze with 2% cobalt added. I'll be using this again in the future me thinks.Another success story this term has been my stamp. It was a pain to make but so worth it. I've used this signature since I was 14 and started painting ceramics at my local studio back in the Isle of Man. I loved the artwork of Cicely Mary Barker from a very young age and emulated her mark on my own work (I intended to insert a picture here of her signature, but blogger isn't very friendly when you want to add a photo at the bottom of a post. Grr). Its so nice to see how far this mark has come with me. My Mum used to tell me off when I didn't sign my work haha. Thanks Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you in advance if you are leaving a comment! If you leave your email address, you might get a nice reply from me!