Pages

Thursday, April 05, 2012

grumble.

I've only been wheel throwing for 3 years. The first year was horrible; I cried nearly everything I made something and had to bully myself into persevering because I knew I loved the end result and I wanted to improve. I'm glad I did stubbornly continue, as I can now produce work that I'm rather proud of (if only quietly, so as not to jinx myself.). I'm at the stage now that I can do a day of repetition throwing and produce anywhere from 4 to 20 pieces, almost at identical sizes (albeit in limited forms).
However, today I felt like a complete newbie all over again and it stung. Foolishly (oh so foolish!), I purchased a bag of SOFT porcelain last week, thinking it would be easier to work with. Nu uh. Difficult to centre, way too sensitive to moderate pressure and very questionable structure. Out of 11 attempts, 3 completely failed, 2 are cracking due to the awful shape, 1 is wonky and 5 *might* be ok.
AND there is very little skin left on my fingers, due to spending 3 times as long centering the damned clay.
Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew that soft clay of any kind does not make good cups. Where was that logic at the pottery supply store?
Hopefully my fingers will heal enough overnight and allow me to return to trusty stoneware tomorrow to make some cups for ANOTHER project, linked to the Miro dishes.

[*Please note: I don't cry when I wheel throw anymore; I've learnt to take deep breaths and tell myself that I learn from every piece I make, even if I screw it up.]

7 comments:

  1. wow, only 3 years? You know when they used to have apprenticeships it was 4 years and I bet they had to throw heaps every day. Hope your fingers are better tomorrow and have a Happy EAster :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! Today was much, much better. Ah, if only apprenticeships for potters' still existed...

      Delete
  2. Ah well.....mistakes are always something you get to love a few years down the track when you can say it was the mistakes you made in the past that made you the potter you are today.
    Good on you for challenging yourself to step out of your comfort zone and daring to be different.
    I love hearing about your work.
    Sadhana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Don't look too closely A, you'll see the wonky ones!!

      Delete
  4. I can't throw anything but a thick glob, those look perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you in advance if you are leaving a comment! If you leave your email address, you might get a nice reply from me!