Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

megan puls

Megan Puls is, in the eyes of many, one of the best ceramicists in Australia. She pushes her materials and so often wins; the technical challenges that she sets herself astound me. We're privileged to call her a local Gold Coast artist and very fortunate indeed to have her as a dedicated member of and teacher at the Gold Coast Potters Association. Currently she is throwing Southern Ice porcelain and red raku clay together and piercing the porcelain, to create works like this:

 Megan is also developing this gorgeous range of soup bowls, plates and spoons (look at those spoons!)

[*jaw drop*]

pierced forms waiting to be sanded
Her range of work is certainly diverse - these exquisite sculptural porcelain arrangements blow my mind. Parts of this must be 50 cm long and no more than half a centimetre thick!
My excuse for stalking Megan's studio today: we're planning an exhibition together. I thought she was joking at first, but Megan seems to have complete faith in me to produce a new body of work suitable to exhibit alongside hers. Her absolute confidence in me actually makes me shake a little. Quite seriously, I could barely write notes this afternoon!
Apart from this being a huge honour - how many young ceramicists get such an opportunity? - I'm excited to have a reason and the motivation to produce a whole new body of work; and in porcelain too.
Stay tuned for 'Ebb Tide' in March 2013.

I recommend:
Megan's lovely website and very active Pinterest.

6 comments:

  1. fantastic! How great to work along side someone so experienced - I'm sure your work will look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Katy that is wonderful! So happy for you and this opportunity:-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will HAVE to book flights for that one !
    Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynette Rogers15 July 2012 at 22:44

    Have complete faith in you Katy. Will look forward to the exhibition. Great write up. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Fantastic news :) I look forward to reading you blog your preparation and the actual exhibition.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you in advance if you are leaving a comment! If you leave your email address, you might get a nice reply from me!